It’s officially cold season – not only for humans but for our four-legged counterparts as well. Dogs experience cold and flu symptoms most commonly in the form of “kennel cough”. While no pet illness should be self-diagnosed, there are a number of home remedies for soothing your pups symptoms after consulting with your vet.
- Chicken Broth: Just like humans, chicken broth opens your pup’s airways, ensures proper hydration and soothes the throat.
- Vitamin C: Giving a dog a quarter of a 1,000 mg tablet once a day throughout a cold can help alleviate symptoms.
- Humidifier: Fight a stuffed-up snout by eliminating cold air within your home. Don’t own a humidifier? Run a hot shower and let your dog breathe the bathroom air for 10 minutes.
- Honey: A tablespoon given twice a day can help combat nasal discharge, and has strong antibacterial properties.
- Cinnamon: This spice acts as an antiviral – helping eliminate the cold at the root of the problem. Adding cinnamon to a dog’s food is both safe and tasty.
No one enjoys being sick, but with the help of items easily found throughout your home, you can help speed up your dog’s recovery. Kennel cough is common due to its contagious nature, so be sure to check in with your vet to go over all necessary steps. Help keep you and your pup healthy and happy during this cold season!