It is important to keep our furry friends safe when the temperature drops. Just like humans, pets are affected with illness when the harsh cold weather starts. Here are some tips to keep them safe:
- Limit the time your pet is outside when temperatures drop below freezing.
- When de-icing a walkway or deck, use a pet-friendly (salt-free and chloride-free) de-icer such as MortonSafe-T-Pet. You wouldn’t want to be walking on chemicals that could hurt you, so don’t make your precious pooch have to!
- Make sure your pets have nametags on, in case they get lost in a whiteout.
- Wipe the paws of your pets when they come inside after stepping on ice and snow, just like ho you wipe your own feet! This will keep them dry and also help keep your carpets clean.
- Animals don’t exercise as much during colder winter months so adjusting their is important to reduce the threat of weight gain.
- Any extended period of time outside when the temperature is below freezing can be very harmful for your pet. The happiest pet is one that is taken out frequently for walks and exercise, but is kept inside cuddled up for the rest of the time!